[MEncoder-users] Cannot pass bitrate via command line when using mencoder's profiles

Markus Bonet m.bonet at t-online.de
Mon Dec 6 23:13:49 CET 2010

Am 06.12.2010 20:39, schrieb Reimar Döffinger:

> No idea why it worked before (though maybe it was such an ancient version
> that it did not yet use x264's own option parser), but the issue is
> probably that if the profile does not specify a bitrate, crf mode is implied.
> Since the profile is parsed independently you end up with a incorrect
> intermediate state that is 2-pass and CRF.
> I suspect that just specifying a bitrate in the profile (should not matter
> what at all, best choose something extreme so you notice immediatly if the
> one on the command-line is ignored) should make it work.

If i specify the bitrate parameter in the profile, encoding takes place
but my command line cannot overwrite the value. I tested with 50 kbit/s
for the video (looks like expected).
I didn't get the reason though, but it's annoying that I can't proceed
as before. It means I have to redesign my solution and scripting gets
more complicated...

Thanks
Markus