[MEncoder-users] mpeg conversions

Rick C. rickcorteza at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 15:16:51 CET 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 12:14 AM, Alexander Strange wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Levente Novák wrote:
>
>> 2010. 12. 1, szerda keltezéssel 12.26-kor Carl Eugen Hoyos ezt írta:

>>> Note that MEncoder does not contain any native encoders (so what you say about
>>> x264 would apply to all encoders).
>>>
>>> Carl Eugen
>>>

>> So if I understand you correctly, even encoders are maintained (since
>> they come from ffmpeg/libavcodec which is actively maintained). Only
>> internal muxers stay the same.
>>
>> Levente
>
> The important parts of mencoder are the a/v sync handling and internal muxers, neither of which have been updated in years. The external muxers in libavformat are updated, but mencoder's interface to them doesn't work right, so ffmpeg is better as an interface to them.

With all of these comments I was just thinking...does it matter when we make choices like -oac mp3lame or -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=libmp3lame or how about -of mpeg or -of lavf -lavfopts format=mpg?  There seems to be 2 ways to do things sometimes and considering what does and doesn't get updated in mencoder which is the right way to go?