[MEncoder-users] any resources explaining -audio-sensity -audio-preload

Kasper Bonne kbonne at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 22:44:26 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 05:59, Bernd Butscheidt <bbutscheidt at yahoo.de> wrote:
> playing around with mencoder I just jumped over the options
>
> ==================
> -audio-density <1-50>
>  Number of audio chunks per second (default is 2 for 0.5s long audio chunks).
>  NOTE: CBR only, VBR ignores this as it puts each packet in a new chunk.
> -audio-preload <0.0-2.0>
>  Sets up the audio buffering time interval (default: 0.5s).
>
> ==================

The audio stream is often divided into chunks and interleaved with the
video stream. -audio-density determines the size of those chunks.
-audio-preload determines how much audio to buffer before starting
video playback.

As far as I know these options shouldn't affect sync unless the audio
chunks are so big that they can't be stored until it's time to play
them. Of course some video players are very sensitive to non-standard
settings so you might have a problem if you pick sufficiently weird
settings.

/Kasper