[MEncoder-users] mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy h264 hangs

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 15:26:00 CEST 2010

 On 8/12/2010 6:35 AM, Stefan Sassenberg wrote:
> I'm not bound to avi, I was just looking for a container that makes it
> possible to edit the videos. Which one should I use? I can also reencode
> the files if that makes my life easier. In that case, which tool should
> I use and what is my target codec?
It depends on what you use to edit the videos. VideoReDo is nice, but it
costs money. There are TSSniper and h264ts_cutter, which are free, but
are not as user-friendly (though quite usable) and can only cut on
I-frames. For all three, your original file should work, but I don't
know the specifics of what produced your file. If the program you want
won't take the file, you should be able to remux with tsMuxeR, which
will give you a more standard MPEG-TS container.
However, if you mean actual editing (effects, transitions, etc.) and not
just cutting, then I don't know. If I'm not mistaken, commercial editors
like Vegas will likely support even the most hacked-up containers as
long as they're common enough.