[MEncoder-users] Viewing while capturing

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 18:42:40 CEST 2010

Hello all,

As I'm messing around with my TV capture card I was wondering wether I
can see what I'm capturing with a latency as low as possible. The
problem is that I want to capture the analog output of an XBox 360, but
I don't have a analog splitter for the signal, so I have to view it on
the PC that is capturing, I think.

I have already tried playing the captured file back as early as possible
(it is behind more than one second or stops playing after a few seconds,
getting it right is already a headache) and this command:

mencoder tv:// -tv
device=/dev/video1:input=2:height=576:width=720:normid=13 -vf pp=fd
-aspect 16/9 -ovc x264 -oac pcm -o - >(tee test.avi -)>(mplayer -cache
512 -)

But that did not work as the mplayer window doesn't pop up and the
terminal output is clogged with binary.

Does anyone has a suggestion?

Thanks in advance, Martijn van Beurden