[MEncoder-users] Mencoder vdpau usage possible ?

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Sun Aug 8 14:09:51 CEST 2010

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 12:25:14PM +0200, belcampo wrote:
>> When encoding a short BBC-HD clip with ffmpeg I get annoying
>> blockiness in the first few frames, I issued the problem on the
>> ffmpeg round-up, the reference decoder didn't show that problem.
>
> You need to tell it to drop any initial non-keyframes.
The source starts with a key-frame, so that is not the cause of the problem.
> FFmpeg at least has an option for that but I do not know
> if it works for this case.
> You can just try using a -ss option that skips those frames
> at least though.
That's not a solution, I'm left with less then the original amount of
frames with resulting sync problems.
> VDPAU only works due to the old tradition of "commercial"
> decoders to just throw away anything they don't like.
CoreAVC under Windows gave me all the expected frames without the
blockiness.
On Aug 6th on ffmpeg-devel there was this message
LibVA hardware acceleration support for ffmpeg	command line.
and that also solves the 'blockiness' problem.
There only is some colour-shift, yuv/rgb ???? to be solved.