[MEncoder-users] ac3 mistaken for mp3 in recent versions of MEncoder

Laine Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 28 23:28:16 CEST 2010

On 4/28/10 2:47 PM, "Reimar Döffinger" <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> You might want to try -demuxer lavfpref or -audio-demuxer lavfpref
> -ac +ac3 might also work to force it to use the right decoder.

Thanks. When I use "-demuxer lavfpref" the output file is still empty. When
I use "-audio-demuxer lavfpref -ac +ac3" The output file contains video
only. I'm not absolutely sure I'm using that construct correctly, though.
Does it replace "-audiofile"?

> When does it disappear? WHen you cut the audio file, the video file or only
> when both?

If I've understood your question, the only way to execute my method is to
cut both. My method takes two input files, a video mp4 file and an audio ac3
file. I'm using my video capture software (Elgato EyeTV 3) to export the
pair separately because that's the only way I can retain 6 channels in the
audio (BTW, there's no way to perform the capture with MPlayer alone that
I'm aware of, the drivers don't exist). MPlayer and MEncoder can't do
anything with the native capture file in its original format, so I have to
export. I can export the capture in its entirety, or I can take a clip out
of the capture and export the separate audio and video files for that clip.
The problem disappeared when the pair of files were exported for a short
clip (the sort of clip needed to provide the sample you recommended) for
versions 31103 and later. The problem didn't exist for any source file I've
tried until some time after version 30866 (the last version I've tested that
is succeeds 100% of the time). So in answer to your question, I think it
disappears only when I cut both, because I can't cut one or the other
without changing the entire process I'm using.

For what it's worth, I wish I knew an exclusive term for video in the
English language that distinguishes the visual component of a movie the same
way that audio distinguishes the sound component. What could it be?

Laine Lee