[MEncoder-users] ac3 mistaken for mp3 in recent versions of MEncoder

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Apr 27 21:17:29 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:18:59PM -0500, Laine Lee wrote:
> In my latest tested working version, 30677, output contains this:
>
> libavformat file format detected.
> [ac3 @ 0x101889e00]max_analyze_duration reached
> [ac3 @ 0x101889e00]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
>
> With the latest versions (31101, 31097), which don't work, I get this
> instead:
>
> libavformat file format detected.
> [mp3 @ 0x101820000]Header missing
>     Last message repeated 796 times
> [mp3 @ 0x1018bb600]MAX_READ_SIZE:5000000 reached
> [mp3 @ 0x1018bb600]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
>
> Although compiled with identical options within a few minutes of each other
> on the same system, the newer versions apparently think my .ac3 is .mp3. Any
> idea why?

A sample file would be useful.
Testing with FFmpeg and it also misdetects it reporting it to them would be
a good idea, too.
In any case, the very least would be a more complete output, normally that means
the full output, also using -v, and at most leaving things out when there are
really hundreds of lines of the same thing.