[MEncoder-users] "requested bitrate is too low." in 2-pass x264 encoding

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 18:03:13 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Stroller
<stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2010, at 16:21, Grozdan wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Stroller
>> <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Many thanks for your reply.
>>>
>>> I believe I've tried h264enc, but I didn't get along with the options. I
>>> prefer undvd which uses the same method. This is not a criticism of your
>>> program - just what suits me.
>>
>> Sure, no problem. Use whatever suites you better just like I do, but
>> keep in mind that undvd is dead and no longer developed/maintained so
>> at some point, it'll stop working and I suspect it already will since
>> latest x264 requires in mencoder to use force_cfr which undvd doesn't
>> have in its options (though that's easily fixed)
>
> I wasn't aware of that. Actually I corresponded with the author in the past,
> and there are some improvements I wished for undvd that he was not
> interested in. So I already planned to fork undvd or write my own script
> influenced by it.
>
>>> The reason I asked was that I believe MP4Box is depreciated by my distro.
>>> was therefore thinking of writing my own script. I will have to
>>> investigate
>>> why MP4Box has been depreciated, and see if there are any alternatives.
>>
>> On which distro are you on? I think it's a silly decision to deprecate
>> it since it's the only mp4 stand-alone muxer that is still under
>> development. mp4creator is no longer officially developed/maintained.
>

> Pardon me, I think I was mistaken.
>
> I think that MP4Box is supported by my distro (Gentoo), but that undvd used
> mpeg4ip or mp4creator, and it is the remuxer that undvd used that was
> depreciated.

Yeah, undvd uses mp4creator which is officially dead for some time.
There is a fork of it somewhere, but I don't know much about it. I
don't know why he chose to use it instead of mp4box, as the latter not
only is active but also supports much more options than mp4creator

Also, the x264 options in undvd are pretty bad, last time I looked at it.

> At the time I looked into fixing this and although the changes in command
> lines between the two mp4 remuxers were minor, I didn't speak enough perl
> (the language in which undvd is scripted) to accommodate them. I learned a
> little perl over Christmas - I've now had a patch accepted by another
> project and written a small perl program of my own, so I may have another
> crack at this in my Copious Free Time (tm). undvd worked extremely well for
> me, so it would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

I can probably patch undvd at some point, but if you're willing to do
it, have a go. I'm not really interested in undvd, though. It's a very
simplistic tool as an interface, but also a dumb one. It can't handle
anything but PAL content, last time I checked. There's a similar
script called abdvde (on doom9 forum) which is much better than undvd,
but it only outputs to MKV container (afaik)