[MEncoder-users] "requested bitrate is too low." in 2-pass x264 encoding

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 17:21:56 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Stroller
<stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 9 Apr 2010, at 14:48, Grozdan wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Stroller <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Hi and sorry to bother you, but what's the supported method to convert
>>> (say
>>> a DVD) to x264 .mp4 then, please?
>>>
>>> This should be done entirely in ffmpeg?
>>
>> If you want to use mencoder, then you only have 2 options
>>
>> 1) output to an AVI and then use something like MP4Box from gpac to
>> demux the AVI and mux it into an MP4, which is done like this

>> If you want to make it easy on you and don't really care if you first
>> output to an AVI or to a RAW, then you can try my script (called
>> h264enc, google it) which automates this process (it outputs to AVI
>> first, though, later on you can choose mp4/mvk/ogm/ts...)
>
> Many thanks for your reply.
>
> I believe I've tried h264enc, but I didn't get along with the options. I
> prefer undvd which uses the same method. This is not a criticism of your
> program - just what suits me.

Sure, no problem. Use whatever suites you better just like I do, but
keep in mind that undvd is dead and no longer developed/maintained so
at some point, it'll stop working and I suspect it already will since
latest x264 requires in mencoder to use force_cfr which undvd doesn't
have in its options (though that's easily fixed)

> The reason I asked was that I believe MP4Box is depreciated by my distro. I
> was therefore thinking of writing my own script. I will have to investigate
> why MP4Box has been depreciated, and see if there are any alternatives.

On which distro are you on? I think it's a silly decision to deprecate
it since it's the only mp4 stand-alone muxer that is still under
development. mp4creator is no longer officially developed/maintained.