[MEncoder-users] "requested bitrate is too low." in 2-pass x264 encoding

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 15:48:39 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Stroller <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2010, at 17:34, Grozdan wrote:
>>
>> ... beware that mencoder is broken
>> outputting to anything but AVI, MPEG PS and RAW. I guess with lavf and
>> mp4 encoding WITHOUT b-frames, it'll do just fine but the moment you
>> add b-frames to your encode (and you're adding them since by default
>> they are enabled) it'll create a broken mp4
>
> Hi and sorry to bother you, but what's the supported method to convert (say
> a DVD) to x264 .mp4 then, please?
>
> This should be done entirely in ffmpeg?

If you want to use mencoder, then you only have 2 options

1) output to an AVI and then use something like MP4Box from gpac to
demux the AVI and mux it into an MP4, which is done like this

MP4Box -aviraw video yourfile.avi
MP4Box -aviraw audio yourfile.avi

if the audio is AAC, MP4Box will dump it as .raw extension so you have
to rename it to carry the .aac or .m4a extension or else MP4Box won't
take it (I know, it's stupid). Then to mux into an mp4, do as
follows...

MP4Box -add video.h264 -add audio.aac -new -mpeg4 output.mp4

2) encode to raw which means separating video and audio encoding.
Requires a bit more work and may introduce sync problems in some cases
if you're not careful

If you want to make it easy on you and don't really care if you first
output to an AVI or to a RAW, then you can try my script (called
h264enc, google it) which automates this process (it outputs to AVI
first, though, later on you can choose mp4/mvk/ogm/ts...)

And as I mentioned previously, mencoder can output a valid mp4
provided that you don't use b-frames for encoding.