[MEncoder-users] Limiting peak bitrate with CRF - vbv_maxrate?

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 12:30:17 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/2010 4:46 AM, Grozdan wrote:
>> bitrate peaks are not disallowed in BR. The maxrate/bufsize is there
>> to tell the encoder to restrict the average bitrate of a certain
>> number of frames, but bursts are allowed for short periods of time in
>> any profile/level
>>
> I guess I'm probably stuck with 4.1 then unless the deblocking filter is
> very good.
>> also, if you're going to deblock, stay away from pp=ha/va as they are
>> terrible at that. Better use -vf spp (or fspp, pp7)
> Any suggestions on settings? The blocks are small and usually not a huge
> detriment to quality since the source is AVC and only about 2% of the
> video (lengthwise) has noticeable artifacts, so I don't want the filter
> to affect the parts that aren't blocky. I have some other videos that
> are mostly the same except their source is MPEG-2 and the same parts are
> significantly worse and the entire video could use some deblocking (most
> of the video is good, but blocky parts are somewhat common, though
> usually short).

mplayer/mencoder doesn't have an adaptive deblocker (afaik) which
leaves "non-blocky" parts alone and deblocks the blocky ones. As such,
you probably want a very low deblock setting, something like 1 or 2
(maybe 3). Best is to just test for yourself and see what looks "best"
to you. I can't tell you from here as I can't see the content you're
dealing with so it's just guessing on my part. Play around a bit with
the settings and also compare the different deblockers (spp, fspp,
uspp (very slow) and pp7). In addition of deblock strength value, you
may also play a bit with the quantization parameter setting of deblock
filters that offer it