[MEncoder-users] Multiplexing to mpeg2

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 23 20:37:54 CEST 2009

On 9/22/09 12:32 PM, "Laine Lee" <llee040 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 9/22/09 3:41 AM, "Henk Schoneveld" <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks. I've used mplex, but it has some limitations that make it inadequate
>>> for me, maybe due to the fact that it's old.
>> As the dvd-standard is.
>

> Well, yes, but I can still make standards-compliant m2v and ac3 files that
> mplex won't successfully mux, apparently because their bit rates are too
> high for mplex (at least that's what I've gathered after searching for
> "mplex" and "will arrive too late", which appear to be the most
> distinguishing excerpts from the error messages I've been seeing).

> I did find an ffmpeg method which I consider more robust than the mplex
> method because it continues without failure even if errors are encountered:
>
> ffmpeg -y -fflags genpts -i infile.m2v -i infile.ac3 -target film-dvd
> -vcodec copy -acodec copy -bufsize 3072k muxed_outfile.mpg -map 0:0 -map 1:0

I found another way to multiplex mpeg2 with an application for Mac OS X
called "MPEG Streamclip". I use the application a lot, but I didn't realize
it could mux. If you have an m2v file and and the right audio file such as
ac3 in the same directory and with the same names except for the name
extension, you can feed the m2v file to MPEG Streamclip, and it will mux on
the fly for playback. Then you can save the results as an mpg (or rather
more precisely, as an "mpeg") file.

Laine Lee