[MEncoder-users] VAM from D-Link Ethernet camera (not h263 neither mpeg4...)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Sep 18 15:04:24 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:54:22AM +0300, Dmytro O. Redchuk wrote:
>   i have d-link camera (dcs-5300, dvs-301) and would like a lot
>   to be able to play stream from it.

Well, D-link says it produces MPEG-4 short header mode (aka H.263
baseline without any of the annexes).

>   I've found these samples, desc and README:
>     http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/vam/
>     http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/vam/desc.txt
>     http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/vam/README

These definitely aren't though (they might be H.263 with a broken header
and arithmetic coding), so if that's what your camera produces it is
broken (though some people would say the fact that D-link is written on
it already implies it to be broken).

>   So, sorry --- now there is no way to play it, really?

As long as D-link blatantly lies in its product advertisements probably
not. If someone can get them to provide a correct description maybe.