[MEncoder-users] mencoder to generate mp4 files for Motorola A1200

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Fri Oct 23 01:58:29 CEST 2009

Hi. To let you get update of what I achieved and for other who followed
this thread from Google, here is my "solution".

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Hello. I am trying to convert DVD to be playable on Motorola A1200.
>
> A1200 can see the video format: default support RM, 3gp, MP4.
>
> According to the spec,
> MPEG4 video files: can support 320 to X240, 30fps, 350kbps.
> 3GP and rm video file to support the 320 X240, 15fps, 350kbps.

I tried the following can create video playable on the device.
$ mencoder dvd://01 -endpos 1800 -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -vf scale=320:240 -o movie.avi -ofps 25
$ mplayer -vo null -endpos 1800 -ao pcm -af resample=8000 dvd://01
$ ffmpeg -i movie.avi -i audiodump.wav -b 48 -ac 1 -ab 12200 -map 0.0 -map 1.0 movie.mp4

However I am afraid I compressed the video twice, once with mencoder,
once with ffmpeg. If I use 'ffmpeg -vcodec copy' to avoid second round
compression, the resulting .mp4 file is big, 150MB for 1800 seconds,
which is okay to me, but not possible to playback on mobile phone. The
realone player simply say something like parameter is not ok. (in
Chinese)

This doesn't look like a perfect solution, I might follow up with a
better one when I have.