[MEncoder-users] HD-PVR video conversion

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 05:12:10 CEST 2009

belcampo wrote:
> You're on Windows I see, I'm on linux, I would be interested to see if
> it crashes, never seen a crash with ffmpeg.

I never had either until I fed it the HD-PVR's video.
> What is the reason you want to encode the HD-PVR stream ?

1. I want to deinterlace the video (and have it stored that way)
2. x264 streams don't make decoders crash
3. There is no way to produce constant quality encodes with the HD-PVR;
the best it can do is ABR with local optimizations (1-pass ABR)
> You've choosen 13mbps CBR, for quality I suppose.
It's as close to lossless as one can get with the HD-PVR. Since I want
to transcode the video to a bit lower bitrate anyway, the size is not a
problem.

Here's the sample (512MB):
http://www.digital-signal.net/bahamut/temp/HDPVR.sample.ts
It's 1080i AVC and 6ch AC3 in an MPEG-TS container.