[MEncoder-users] Problems encoding from blu-ray m2ts

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 28 21:30:05 CET 2009

Wes Morgan wrote:
> Thanks for the input!
>
> I'm doing all this on freebsd, although I had to use windows to rip
> the discs. All the files are on an ntfs paritition, so I can move them
> around and use eac3to to demux if necessary. ffmpeg seemed to have no
> problem doing it, so I'll probably try a test run with eac3to vs
> ffmpeg and see how the files compare.
>
> As for audio sync, I've always read that separating the audio and
> video is devastating to the audio sync. Logically, that only should be
> the case if the number of frames of the the video stream changes or
> the audio is truncated somehow, but I've never tested it. Have you had
> any problems with a/v sync?
>
> In step 3, you check the scaling with "scale=1280:-10", and use that
> in the final encode followed by a dsize. I thought that mencoder
> automatically updated the aspect ratio through both the crop and scale
> filters. Does the "dsize" filter correct for the slight difference in
> aspect ratios between 1280x544 and 1904x800 so the result is displayed
> properly? If not, isn't the image being ever so slightly distorted?
> Would it not have been better the undercrop to 1904x810 so it would
> scale to 1280x544 with no distortion, even though it might leave some
> black pixels?

I have had audio sync problems ripping DVDs, but strangely never ever
have I had problems with sync ripping Blu-Ray discs. I believe it is
because blu-rays are generally authored "better" - the video streams
don't tend to flip back and forth between framerates or have funky
mid-frame editing cuts in them. Re: your notes about cropping, scaling
etc - every movie is going to be different, and I was brought up with
the notion that that black edge pixels are bad because they are harsh on
compression and you'll waste a lot of bits encoding them - maybe that's
old superstition on my part.