[MEncoder-users] x264 encoding slower after updating libx264

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Sat Nov 14 15:52:52 CET 2009

* Loren Merritt on Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 13:49:43 +0000
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, Christian Ebert wrote:
>> weightp is set to 2 by default:
>>
>> $ x264 --fullhelp | grep -A 2 weightp
>>    --weightp               Weighted prediction for P-frames [2]
>>                            - 0: Disabled
>>                            - 1: Blind offset
>>
>> This adds 2 reference frames, so for converted files to play on
>> iPod one has to set weightp=0. I found out the hard way ;-)
>
> You may be right that iPod doesn't support weightp (I don't keep
> track of hardware decoders). But it's not because of the number of
> refs. Weightp adds 2 entries to the ref list, but they aren't extra
> frames, so they don't count against the DPB limit.

According to Dark Shikari in this thread

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1342762

weightp 2 adds 2 reference frames.

Either way, it is a good idea to set weightp=0 for ipod.

\black\trash movie    _C O W B O Y_  _C A N O E_  _C O M A_
                     Ein deutscher Western/A German Western

         --->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.php