[MEncoder-users] Encoding iPhone MOV into MPEG-2 -- Video framerate is super fast!?

Jarred Nicholls jarred.nicholls at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 06:06:40 CET 2009

Wow that actually is working!  I used -mc 0 and figured since that didn't
work there was no hope.  LIterally -mc 0.1 is the only thing changed and now
all of a sudden it's fine.  How does that help the situation when mencoder
(and ffmpeg actually) doesn't correctly identify the source's variable
framerate?

So yeah, after using -mc 0.1, it is no longer showing the same problems as
before...however, the audio is slightly behind the video.  Between 500ms and
1sec I'd say.  I did something funky as a workaround, but not sure if it
will be a universal workaround.  It did work surprisingly well however:  I
used ffmpeg to copy the MOV's audio and video and mux it into an AVI
container verbatim.  I then used the same exactly mencoder command with "-mc
0" added to it, and the resulting MPEG-2 was spot on.  I'd prefer to make
mencoder work in one shot, so is there anything else I can do to help the
a/v sync after adding "-mc 0.1"?  Maybe -nobps?

I'm not cropping but I do need to scale to bring the "rotated" height down
to 480 to fit onto a 720x480 stage.  That is NTSC DVD compliance and my
optimal output.

Thanks a lot for your help Laine,
Jarred