[MEncoder-users] Mencoding DVD->mkv without demuxing

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 10:16:30 CET 2009

2009/11/6 C.M. Burns <montiburns at googlemail.com>:
> Hello list,
>
> as mentioned in another post I am working on mencoding a DVD to a mkv file.
> At the moment I demux the a/v stream and encode seperate audio and video
> streams, but this gives me a headache later in the process.
> If I merge the files with mkvmerge, audio is asynchronous and fiddling
> around with synch just drives me crazy.

did you set --default-duration in mkvmerge while muxing the video with
the audio streams? This is necessary if you give it raw h264 files

> Is there a useful way to encode the muxed AV stream (multiple audio
> streams) directly to a h264 file?

mencoder can't encode multiple audio streams at a time and an h264
file can't hold audio as it's a raw stream (or do you mean something
else with "h264 file"?)

Also, you may want to try my h264enc script which supports up to three
audio tracks http://h264enc.sourceforge.net/