[MEncoder-users] Encoded DVD video has motion flicker

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 05:29:22 CET 2009

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:21:59 -0500
Chris Capon <ttabyss at gmail.com> wrote:

> With these video files, when I run mencoder with 'scale' as the first
> filter, it seg-faults.

Make a bugreport.  The HTML docs explain how.

> Deinterlacing with pp removes the flicker but motion still jumps or
> hops  rather than flowing smoothly.

You picked a lousy deinterlacer.  Try yadif, kerndeint, or pp=lb.

> format=dvd:tsaf -vf il=d,scale=presize=ntsc,dsize=16/9,harddup,il=i
> I may not be using the il filters correctly

No.  It takes two arguements, not one.  You don't seem to have any
method to your madness.  MEncoder and MPlayer are nearly identical.  You
should be trying just WATCHING the videos with the filter options,
before you encode anything.  For instance, if you just ran mplayer on
your video with "-vf il=d" you would instantly see something is very,
very wrong.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!