[MEncoder-users] mencoder -audiofile uses different bitrate

mencoder at perlmeister.com mencoder at perlmeister.com
Wed Nov 4 03:07:00 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Corey Hickey wrote:

> It's not really clear to me why mencoder is converting the audio to
> s16le for '-oac pcm', but you can avoid that by just using '-oac copy'
> instead.

Thanks, Corey and Grozdan, exactly what I was looking for.

Just out of curiosity: If I wanted to recode the audio in PCM, but with
a different bitrate or sample size, how would I tell mencoder?

"-oac pcm" doesn't seem to take any options and while the 'lavc' codec
understands pcm_u8,

      mencoder nosound.avi -oac lavc -ovc copy -lavcopts \
        acodec=pcm_u8:abitrate=64 -audiofile sound.wav -o out.avi

prints

     Audio stream:   64.000 kbit/s  (7999 B/s)  size: 21280

while it's running, but the resulting .avi has

     AUDIO: 8000 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 64.0 kbit/50.00%

set.

-- Mike

Mike Schilli