[MEncoder-users] embedded subtitles in an avi file

David Liebman radiodee1 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 20:08:14 CEST 2009

>From your recommendation I tried something like this:

mencoder rawdv.dv -ovc copy -oac copy -o video.avi

Then I tried my subtitles again:

mencoder video.avi -sub fanText.ass -ss 10 -endpos 10 -o fanOut.avi

This didn't work. The equivalent mplayer command does show the subtitles
correctly though. I also noticed that your subtitle file is an '.srt'
file, while mine is '.ass'. I don't know if this matters. I don't know
how to get my subtitles in another format. My only solution right now is
the ffmpeg method, but the quality is pretty bad. Anyone have any
ideas?