[MEncoder-users] mov to swf, mission impossible?

B arbara -- W inkler barbara at wolffh.de
Fri May 22 15:25:28 CEST 2009

Hello RC,

>> There is a significant difference between myVideo.swf and myVideo.flv,
>>
>> namely, my browser with the Flash plugin will read myVideo.swf, and
>> not myVideo.flv. When Firefox (3.0) encounters myVideo.flv in
>> something like
>>
>> <object data="myVideo.flv" type="video/x-flv"  width="640"
>> height="400">
>>    <param name="src" value="myVideo.flv">
>> </object>
>> , it offers me to find the appropriate plugin, but doesn't find it
>> ("Unknown plugin (video/x-flv)")... that's no good.
>
> FLV doesn't work like you believe it does.  You can't just embed it in a
> web page and expect it to work.  Your confusion between SWF and FLV is
> evidence of this.

Please, re-read my post -- I'm not confusing .swf and .flv -- but
somebody does at http://www.swftools.org/faq.html where they give an
example of mencoder usage to create a .swf file, only what they create
is not a valid .swf file, but a .flv file.

The <object...> code to embed it in a webpage comes from another
source and works for the person who gave it to me -- when given this
html code, their browser will play the video, using the xine plugin;
only mine, and any standard browser, won't.

> Mencoder is likely generating a perfectly good file.

Sorry, but this isn't helpful at all. The file may be perfectly good
but it's a .flv file, and I need  .swf. Either I need to convert the
.flv to .swf, or I need a way to wrap the .flv file into a .swf.

__But How?__

I've found two "solutions" on the net so far and none worked.