[MEncoder-users] Tuning hqdn3d

vmrsss vmrsss at gmail.com
Wed May 20 12:56:05 CEST 2009

On 20 May 2009, at 03:38, James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> So, you want what anyone would reasonably want - decent quality at a
> decent size. So, you want to compress the video to save file space,
> but not so much as to hurt quality. Your proposed approach is to
> compress the video with a constant quality (CRF). You pick a CRF
> value that you hope will give you quality you can live with, while
> hoping that the file isn't too big

And how exactly is it different to have to pick a bitrate that you
expect will do well considered the complexity of that particular
sequence you're trying to encode? I'll tell you how: no amount of
experience will make you pick the "right" bitrate for the quality you
want. It is enough to play with CRF for a few weeks to appreciate
what's behind the amount of bitrate variation for supposedly similar
sources hides a lot of

> Not really. The encoder is not going to spend bits it doesn't need
> to. I can ask for a bitrate of 12000 but if the movie only needs
> 6000 to get the job done with the encoder features I've requested,
> then that's all that is going to get used.

What? If you ask 12000kb , you'll get 12000kb, that's it.