[MEncoder-users] issues for time-lapse video encoding

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Tue May 19 05:55:03 CEST 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009 18:12:51 -0400
Hugh Secker-Walker <hsw at hodain.net> wrote:

>    which codec will degrade the images the least or have the simplest
>    behavior/results?

Whatever one you're going to be using later.

Honestly though, I don't see why you don't fully compress the video on
the fly.  With such low frame-rates, you should have ample CPU power.

>  BTW, I'm currently using the mjpeg codec, but there's no control that
>  I can see (ffmpeg) for the compression that it's doing....

vqscale

>    it would be nice to remove all the objects, e.g. birds, that appear
>    in only a single frame.

hqdn3d with a very, very high temporal value might work for you.  Or
perhaps tinterlace + pp=lb + tfields.  Probably not good enough though.
You probably need to find a more specialized tool for the job.

>    Relatedly, is there a codec that would be best suited to the
>    time-lapse material?

Nope.

The longer the interval between frames, the less effeciently it's
possible to temporally compress the video, and the closer you come to
getting no better compression than seperate images.  Physics is against
you...

With some very strong denoising, or very high quantitizer (low
bitrate/low quality), you might get be able to get some decent
compression, but don't count on it.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!