[MEncoder-users] Tuning hqdn3d

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Mon May 18 19:07:44 CEST 2009

Nicolas George wrote:
> Le nonidi 29 floréal, an CCXVII, James Hastings-Trew a écrit :
>
>> vmrsss wrote:

>>> it's not that I don't believe that 2-pass is better
>>> than 1-pass. I don't believe that 2-pass is better
>>> than crf if the encodes end up with the same
>>> avg bitrate.
>>>
>> I believe that you are incorrect. What you are saying is that 2-pass can't
>> possibly give you a better quality encode than doing it in one pass with a
>> chosen crf value that you choose.
>>

> 2-pass for constant-quality could allow encoding improvements, but it is not
> implemented.
>

>> 				    My experience with doing encodes both
>> ways shows that the 2-pass encode is visually better in quality, and, as a
>>

> As I said, I did a very quick experiment a few days ago, and the result was
> rather in the opposite direction.
>

>> bonus, the file is not arbitrarily large.
>>

> I think you missed the point where some people (including me) explained that
> what they want is a file that is large enough to achieve the visual quality
> they want, and no more.
>
> If the file is smaller, then it does not achieve the requested visual
> quality: this is not a bonus.

If file size is of no concern, then why compress the video at all?
Maximal quality will be acheived with a lossless codec such as ffvhuff.
Your experiment of a couple of days ago was unrealistic, and you know
it. Additionally, I was not talking about doing 2-pass at constant rate
factor - that would be silly. But I suspect you knew that too. I will
not feed this particular troll anymore.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4083 (20090518) __________

http://www.eset.com