[MEncoder-users] Tuning hqdn3d

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Fri May 15 19:23:17 CEST 2009

Le sextidi 26 floréal, an CCXVII, Phil Ehrens a écrit :
> Look, people... 2-pass just plain RULEZ when it
> comes to quality. If you don't believe it, do the
> friggin' experiment for yourself... Choose some
> source that has static scenes with high detail,
> and scenes with panning and high action combined,
> and then encode it any way you like, and then
> do an identical encode but 2-pass, and you will
> achieve enlightenment in a single lifetime.

Define "identical encode".

I tried with some full-HD content: first x264 crf=1, then 2-pass x264
bitrate=42. Without any surprise, the first looked infinitely better.
Granted, the resulting file was also infinitely huger, but your message said
nothing about that.

You will need to define much more carefully the circumstances of the
experiment you are suggesting.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George