[MEncoder-users] Tuning hqdn3d

vmrsss vmrsss at gmail.com
Wed May 13 12:35:43 CEST 2009

On 13 May 2009, at 09:16, RC wrote:
> The only difference being that CRF will only consider it's
> best-guess for quality, while 2-pass mode will chose the best possible
> quality for a given bitrate distributed over the length of the file,
> within specified min/max instantaneous bitrates.

yet, this is non-sense: best-guess for quality what if you're not
targeting any specific bitrate but just specifying directly the
quality frame by frame. There is no guessing involved (the same
equations are in action in the two cases, in one you must derive a
rate factor from bitrate and the rest, in the other you're given the
rate factor). Possibly you are trying to say that it is guesswork for
an encoder to establish a reliable correspondence between a required
visual quality and a CRF value?; that's very true, but then the same
is true for picking a target bitrate, isn't it? (admittedly I am
ignoring vbv and max bitrates)

> But more importantly, and less controvercially, some options just
> require look-ahead, which x264 in single-pass/CRF mode simply can't
> do.

That's an interesting point. I remember a discussion on doom9 that in
fact only a very short (a few frames) lookahead really affects the
encoding, but that will surely depend on what you're trying to
optimise for. It should be possible to come up with meaningful
(essentially) global requirements, such as the one in the previous
post about the TeX line splitting algorithm applied to optimise scene
changes.