[MEncoder-users] Tuning hqdn3d

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Sun May 10 21:23:39 CEST 2009

Andrew Berg wrote:
> Phil Ehrens wrote:
> > Use two-pass encoding ;^)
> I don't want to spend a great amount of time on an encode and quality is
> what I aim for rather than a target filesize, so crf wins over 2-pass by
> a large margin.

2-pass ALWAYS produces better quality. Visibly better,
not just PSNR hand-wavey better. And if h264 is as
wonky as you say it is with common filters that work
great with other codecs, maybe you should toss it.

Please ignore any flame-baitage, real or imagined, in
the above reply.

<me>Dons his anaglyptic goggles and gingerly places
the crackpipe to his blistered lips</me>