[MEncoder-users] Skipped and duplicate frames

Andrew Savchenko bircoph at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:02:09 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 29 March 2009 06:36, Peter wrote:
> I'm trying to convert some movies from a digital camera at 30fps
> from MJPEG to XVID to save space. I'm getting lots of skipped
> frames and duplicate frame messages, although the input file
> seems fine, and indeed the output file seems fine, too.
>
> The messages seem serious, in that I would have expected to see
> doubled and missing frames (but I don't).
>
> Can anyone help me understand why I'm getting these errors, when
> apparently there's nothing wrong?

Skipping and duplicating frames is the way how mencoder maintains
A/V sync. If your output is fine, just forget about those
messages.

If you will have some problems with filters or smooth playback, try
-vf softskip, -vf harddup -noskip, -skiplimit. But do not use them
carelessly! If everything is fine just let mencoder to do its job.

--
Best regards,
Andrew