[MEncoder-users] Dualcore and Quadcore performance?

Al Bogner mencoder at ml082.pinguin.uni.cc
Sun Mar 22 21:06:18 CET 2009

Am Sonntag 22 März 2009 20:35:10 schrieb larrystotler at netscape.net:

> using 1 thread the E8400.  Using threads= the Q8200.  But, it would
> probably be pretty close.

My feeling is too, that there won't be a big difference.

> >I would like to discuss a little bit later which options he uses, but
> > first I have to make a decision which hardware has the best value for the
> > money. I am willing to spend 150-200€ for the cpu.
>
> Actually, he said he got about 300% increase over 1 core using
> threads=4(just called him), so in this case, the X4 would be faster than
> the dual core.

Thank you a lot for calling him.

> >I am little bit confused of the TLB-Bug of the AMD Phenom II. Don't know
> > if this problem is solved in the meantime.
>
> That had to do with the original phenom, not the Phenom II.

Ok, so the decision is between these cpus:

AMD Phenom II X4 920 4x 2.80GHz AM2+ 125W Stepping C2 Box or
INTEL Core 2 Quad Q8200 4x 2.33GHz, 333MHz

The Phenom should be faster IMHO for encoding. I would use with an ASUS M3A32-
MVP Deluxe. Maybe someone could confirm (or not) if onboard-Audio (ADI 1988)
works with Linux?

Al