[MEncoder-users] how to convert mkv to avi?

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Tue Jun 30 17:42:45 CEST 2009

2009/6/30 Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>:

>> Whomever says AVI doesn't support H.264 video is an idiot... period.
>
> Well, it's mostly that VFW can not handle it correctly, and due to the
> many dependent B-frames (and thus long codec delay) it is hard to handle
> H.264 in AVI correctly, so you have to expect that quite a few applications
> will handle it wrong.
> It's basically this issue: http://guru.multimedia.cx/avi-and-b-frames/
> just that it is worse for H.264 (you can of course encode to H.264
> without B-frames and there should be no issue at all then).

I wasn't talking about that. I was only saying that H.264 video in AVI
is no problem, ie; you can store such video in AVI and nothing really
prevents you from doing it... Whether that's a good or bad thing is
something else which I wasn't talking about.

Yes, b-frames in AVI are problematic as you said but it's not illegal.
If specific piece of software/API can't handle it correctly, that's
something else which again I wasn't talking about.

it's funny, people look away at MPEG4 ASP with b-frames in AVI (which
requires the same "hacks", more so if b-frames are packed)  but when
it comes to H.264 with b-frames in AVI, they scream death and
destruction. Yes, H.264 and the way it handles b-frames makes it more
problematic for AVI but I have yet to see any loss, either
quality-wise or something else, when looking at H.264 video in AVI...