[MEncoder-users] Converting ape and flac files to mp3

DaveG mplayer01 at dgmm.net
Mon Jun 22 01:52:17 CEST 2009

On Sunday 21 June 2009, JD wrote:
> Dear All,
> I would like to convert a collection of audio files,
> some of which are encoded in flac and others in ape,
> to mp3.
> I would like to use maximum constant bitrate of 320
> or higher.
> Could someone please show the command line to do so?

Have a look at Sox.  Mplayer/MEncoder isn't really intended for audio file
conversion.

http://sox.sourceforge.net/

It definitely handles flac.  Not sure about ape as I've not come across that
one.

Just found this, audio-convert.

https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/audio-convert/

Part of it's functionality is the ability to convert from ape and it's
basically a Bash script which calls MPlayer for the ape conversion function.
You might want to take a look at it. (or just use it - why reinvent the
wheel? ;-))

--
Dave