[MEncoder-users] how to convert mkv to avi?

briaeros007 briaeros007 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 12:10:48 CEST 2009

Hello,
mkv is merely a container, so the quality of the video wouldn't be
impacted ... if you use a codec which is understood by the avi
container AND you don't use specific feature of mkv (multi video, soft
sub, ...)

If these requirements are met, then you can just use the ovc and oac "copy" mode

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -o my_avi.avi my_mkv.mkv

Cordially