[MEncoder-users] filmdint=io=5:20 for hybrid material

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Wed Jul 29 11:34:09 CEST 2009

2009/7/30 Nathan Shearer <mail at nathanshearer.com>:
> Hi, I have some 24p+30p hybrid material that is hard telecined into
> 30000/1001i. The 24p sections are simply telecined and the 30p sections
> are simply 30000/1001p (not interlaced in any way). I have a
> frankescript that converts this into a 120000/1001fps AVI file with null
> frames so I can mux it into an  MKV file to get progressive VFR, but
> it's quite ugly, slow, unmaintainable, and hardly elegant.
>
> What I would like is something along the lines of this one-liner:
>
> $ mencoder -dvd-device Babylon5.iso dvd://1 -noskip -fps 30000/1001 -vf
> filmdint=io=5:20 -ofps 120000/1001 -ovc x264 -x264encopts qp=15 -oac
> copy -of avi -o vfr.avi
>
> Then I can simply mux that into MKV and the encode is finished. Are
> there any existing filters in mencode that can do this?

No. MEncoder has no such filters that can do that and it doesn't even
support direct encodes to VFR. Also input fps for filmdint must always
be bigger than its output, eg 5:20 will not work with this filter as
it does not support increasing fps, only decreasing it

Your best bet is to use Handbrake for VFR