[MEncoder-users] Different versions, very different results

Matyas mplayer.list at sustik.com
Sat Jul 25 19:13:04 CEST 2009

Grozdan wrote:
> Compression efficiency has nothing to do with mencoder when you're
> using H.264. It depends on the libx264 library which mencoder uses. A
> few days ago, the x264 devs added a new VAQ which in many cases lowers
> the bitrate of the encoding and in some cases increases it. It is not
> enabled by default but if you used aq_mode=2  that may explain why you
> get such different bitrate results. Of course, assuming you're using
> the x264 revision which offers aq_mode=2

So it seems I need to take this to the x264 list.  How can I find out the
x264 versions the various mencoder's use?  I usually recompile x264 and
install it, then recompile and make a package for mplayer/mencoder which I
save.  I do not archive x264.

When I test, I just reinstall the mplayer package with the version number I
am interested in.

I need to tell on the x264 list which versions of x264 produce different
results, how can I do that?

Thanks.
Matyas
-
Every hardware eventually breaks.  Every software eventually works.