[MEncoder-users] Different versions, very different results

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Sat Jul 25 11:01:36 CEST 2009

2009/7/25 Matyas <mplayer.list at sustik.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> While testing encoding settings I noticed that I get quite different results
> with different levels of mencoder.
>
> 1. The current SVN fails in the second pass with:
>  x264 [error]: bad frame number ...
>
> 2. Version r28850 determines a bitrate of 734 kb/s in the first pass.
>
> 3. Version r29108 determines a bitrate of 647 kb/s in the first pass.
>
> All the same parms.
>
> Was there a vast improvement in compression efficiency from r28850 to
> r29108?

Compression efficiency has nothing to do with mencoder when you're
using H.264. It depends on the libx264 library which mencoder uses. A
few days ago, the x264 devs added a new VAQ which in many cases lowers
the bitrate of the encoding and in some cases increases it. It is not
enabled by default but if you used aq_mode=2  that may explain why you
get such different bitrate results. Of course, assuming you're using
the x264 revision which offers aq_mode=2