[MEncoder-users] Making AVIs for Proline MP3 players

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Fri Jul 24 16:06:00 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying here to encode AVIs for my recently bought Proline player.
It only supports MTV and AVI containers and the provided video
converter program works flawlessly but is only for Windows (runs under
Wine but it has issues). Anyways, I encoded a few files to AVI with it
and inspected them in Mediainfo. They are all in MJPEG format with
ADPCM MS audio (Mediainfo displays Intel ADPCM though). However, when
I try to replicate the settings and use mencoder and ffmpeg to encode
for the player, the player always tells me that the format is unknown
so it won't play any files encoded by mencoder or ffmpeg. My
conclusion is that the video converter program supplied with this
player must be doing something special as files encoded by it have no
problems playing on the player. I even compared an AVI encoded by the
converter and one by mencoder and ffmpeg by opening them in a HEX
editor. From what I can see (and I didn't get much wise from it) at
the top they are virtually identical, only mencoder puts some garbage
in the AVIs while the converter seems to put the string ALIAVI71 in
them (and maybe a few others things but I can't tell much from looking
at the HEX dump). It also seems to encode to non-standard frame rates.
Some of my encoded files by this converter show an FPS of 19.865 and
others, like the South Park episode I re-encoded, show 19.900

I've uploaded a file encoded by this video converter which plays just
fine on the player itself. Could some on the devs look at it and if
they can, maybe provide settings/hacks how I can encode using mencoder
or ffmpeg to AVIs that the player will play?

File that plays on the player: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jnzyztvuloh
Player specs (seem to be not entirely correct)
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/528722/PROLINE-NK01-4GB/tab/specification