[MEncoder-users] encoding video for the ipod 5g

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Sun Jul 19 15:28:20 CEST 2009

* Grozdan on Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 13:10:10 +0200
> 2009/7/19 Christian Ebert <blacktrash at gmx.net>:
>> * Grozdan on Saturday, July 18, 2009 at 01:33:37 +0200
>>> I've no idea why it refuses to play it. Your commands look alright to
>>> me. I've a bunch of scripts with iPod presets, which you may try out
>>> and see if it'll work for the g5. I don't have an iPod myself hence
>>> can't really test here
>>>
>>> http://h264enc.sourceforge.net/index.html
>>
>> frameref=3 /might/ be a problem (ipchq). I /believe/ frameref=1
>> is 100% safe and according to Apple's "low complexity version" of
>> the baseline profile.
>>
>> It would be nice to have some reliable information on that. I let
>> some friends test stuff I converted and it seemed to work up to
>> frameref=5, but this might depend on the movies and, more
>> importantly, on the iPod models they used.
>
> I don't think frameref=3 is the problem here or else all users from
> MeGUI will also report problems.

Good to know.

I was only mentioning it because of this:

$ grep '^refs' /usr/local/share/ffmpeg/libx264-ipod640.ffpreset
refs=1

and this:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-September/015930.html

> As long as one sticks to baseline profile and and does not go
> beyond frameref=3, it should work. Besides, it has worked on
> older iPods but now it doesn't seem to work on the G5. If Apple
> is going backwards with their ass first for their newer models,
> they should be slapped hard. More reason why I don't touch
> anything from them. You can test the ipchq preset though, but
> only lower frameref to 1 and see if it'll work (save settings
> to file and modify it, then encode from there). Also, what is
> "low complexity version" of the baseline profile? Baseline is
> *already* low complexity and IIRC there's no "low complexity"
> stuff mentioned in H.264 doc for baseline profiles

I know, I know, which is why I wrote it in ironic quotation
marks.

I was just curious whether there is more reliable info around.

\black\trash movie    _C O W B O Y_  _C A N O E_  _C O M A_
Ein deutscher Western/A German Western
-->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.html
-->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc-en.html