[MEncoder-users] Trouble building with x264 support in Mac OS X

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 9 23:17:19 CEST 2009

On 7/9/09 3:41 PM, "Reimar Döffinger" <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> Then you installed it incorrectly. The version that MPlayer finds is still
> ancient and not supported.

Well, let me include more details. I've been doing this for a year or so
now, and it's usually worked before.

Get latest x264 from

ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/x264/snapshots/

Expand the archive.
Open Terminal and change to that directory.
Type cd x264 then press Return.
Type ./configure --disable-asm then press Return.
When Terminal activity ceases and you once again see the command prompt,
type sudo make install and press Return.
Enter admin password when prompted and press Return again.

Open a new Terminal window and type
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer.
When Terminal activity ceases and you once again see the command prompt,
type cd mplayer and press Return.
Type ./configure and press Return.
When Terminal activity ceases and you once again see the command prompt,
type sudo make install and press Return.
Enter your password when prompted and press Return again.

This is pretty much what James Hastings-Trew said in his thread entitled
"Mac OSX Binaries" on June 3.

If there's something else I should be doing, please let me know. This worked
for both James and myself at least as recently as June 3. Thanks.

Laine Lee