[MEncoder-users] Last two frames missing

Reuben Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Tue Jul 7 02:25:21 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 17:35:01 Mark Himsley wrote:
> Hi mencoder experts.
<snip>
> If I play that file in mplayer and step through the last few frames the
> last two frames are not displayed.
>
> I convert that file BACK to a DV25 MOV with this command:
>
> </SNIP>
>
> But the last two frames cannot be seen in mplayer or QuickTime.

Hello,

Mark, did you ever find a solution for this problem originally posted on the
mencoder-user mailing list ?

I stumbled on this post from searching in Google. I believe I have the same
problem, from a slightly different situation:

I have a number of PNG files which are visualization output of a computer
simulations. So I know exactly how many files there are, and that there are
visualization time stamped as part of the graphic in the file, which helps to
identify the frames.

I encode the files to H.264 using 2-pass encoding and put it into the mp4
container as follow (excuse the line wrapping):

mencoder -ovc x264 -oac copy -x264encopts \
pass=1:turbo:bitrate=1000:bframes=1:me=umh:partitions=all \
:trellis=1:qp_step=4:qcomp=0.7:direct_pred=auto:keyint=300 \
mf://*.png -of rawvideo -o /dev/null

mencoder -ovc x264 -oac copy -x264encopts \
pass=2:turbo:bitrate=1000:frameref=5:bframes=1:me=umh:partitions=all \
:trellis=1:qp_step=4:qcomp=0.7:direct_pred=auto:keyint=300 \
mf://${1} -of rawvideo -o output.264

MP4Box -add output.264 output.mp4

I step through the frames and found that last two frames are missing. Even
with just 1-pass encoding, there are two frames that are missing.

The output of those commands above says that I have the same number of frames
as there are PNG files, but the last two just do not make it into the movie.

This does not happen if I just encode it to MPEG-4, using the example in the
manual:
mencoder mf://*.png -mf w=800:h=600:fps=25:type=png -ovc lavc \
    -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell -oac copy -o output.avi

Any help is appreciated

Thank you.
RDB