[MEncoder-users] rotate an MP4

Daniel Kirsten Daniel.Kirsten at gmx.net
Fri Jul 3 18:32:44 CEST 2009

Hi,

I tried to rotate an MP4 as follows:

mplayer -vo jpeg:quality=100 -ao pcm:fast  file.mp4

Then, I used a script to apply jpegtran to all jpg's, and finally

mencoder "mf://*.jpg" -audiofile audiodump.wav -mf fps=30 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac copy

One can observe a loss of quality.   (I played the original and the rotated movie simultaneously.)
The file is 10-20 percent larger than the original file.
The quality of the jpg's seems to be good, and jpegtran preserves the quality.

Is there a better method to encode the jpg's into a movie?

Best regards,  Daniel