[MEncoder-users] pullup question

Matyas Sustik mplayer.list at sustik.com
Fri Jan 23 00:07:06 CET 2009

Scott W. Larson wrote:
> of the duplicates. Now the problem is that on stations with reduced bit
> rates, telecined material isn't a clear 2/3 duplicate pattern any more.
> You'll find that often the first frame in pattern is missing a lot of
> detail that couldn't be included in the lower bit rate but it's added in
> the "duplicate" frame(s) that follow it. In other words, all the frames

This was the best explanation I have read on the problem!  Thanks!

I suspected that when I am trying to determine the frame pattern, then
supposedly identical frames are different because of some sort of compression
issue.  It makes a lot of sense that on a repeated frame (small delta) the
compression can get more detail included.

Yes, we can try to improve the filters, lowering thresholds for duplicates
etc. but this really should be addressed upstream.

> Of course stations don't care about this. As long as the content looks

So how do we make them care about it?  If there is any effort in place to
remedy this problem I want to sign any petition etc.  We need something along
the lines of "truth in lending" but for broadcast quality.

> good to their viewers, these practices are acceptable to them. In fact

Hopefully, with Blu-Ray adoption people will see the difference.

> many people think the reduced bit rate 720p content looks better because
> 24 fps content looks smoother when each individual frame is smeared
> between multiple frames.

Is that what some people call "film look", right?  I personally never
understood the infatuation with that.  I prefer sharper images and also find
panning painful, it is really time to up the resolution and frame rate.
(Those who prefer the "film look" could always use some post processing
filter I bet.)

Thanks again for your explanation.  Now I am not as puzzled why some
supposedly identical frames differ.

Matyas
-
Every hardware eventually breaks.  Every software eventually works.