[MEncoder-users] Unwanted motion trails that appear only when using set top box to play 24 fps dvd output

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 16 18:17:50 CET 2009

My best results for smooth motion when converting 720p to mpeg2 dvd output
(I've gotten a lot of help from the list, thanks very much) have been
achieved by setting frame rate to 24 fps. My results are quite satisfactory
when played on any computer I have tried, but when I play them on my set top
DVD player, areas of low luminosity contain motion trails that are quite
frequently severe enough to distort the image.

I tried experimenting with the soft telecine option, most recently

"-of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:telecine:muxrate=36000",

but the only way I've really been able to improve output with regard to the
problem has been to convert to 30 fps, which I don't consider acceptable
because of the detriment to motion quality.

Are there other options that might reduce the severity of this problem, or
is it just time for me to shop for a new standalone DVD player? Thanks.

Laine Lee