[MEncoder-users] x264 2-pass, FAAC, smearing

John Ratliff webmaster at technoplaza.net
Thu Jan 15 14:17:36 CET 2009

GM wrote:
> Yes, I have.
>
> -nosound screws up audio sync, because obviously sound is not processed.
> harddup is ALWAYS used, since I remux the video later anyway, but this
> is of no concern at all here, because the messed up video comes out of
> mencoder, not because of remuxing later.

Please note I am an encoding novice and know next to nothing at all...
I'll just let you know what works for me. I'm reencoding DVD's into
matroska with x264 video and ogg audio. I use external ogg encoder, and
mencoder for x264. I use -nosound for first pass, then oac copy for
second. Audio will desync for me if I use nosound for both passes. I
can't remember if I got bad result with oac copy for both or not, but I
do remember the audio desync with nosound for both. I use mkvmerge to
build matroska container.

--John Ratliff