[MEncoder-users] filter order

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 05:19:22 CET 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:20:49 -0600
Matyas Sustik <mplayer.list at sustik.com> wrote:

> The HTML doc says: "deinterlacing should be done after cropping [1]
> and before scaling."  (The footnote does not seem to alter this
> either.)
>
> However, I have seen quite a few encoding scripts where cropping was
> done before deinterlacing.  I was doing it according to the doc until
> now and I just wanted to make sure that it was the right thing to do.

The HTML docs are strewn with bad bits of advice.

It's not a significant issue, either way.  If you crop before
deinterlacing, the performance will be a bit better, and you'll avoid
the deinterlacer having to handle edge noise (most don't have any
issues). However, then you must restrict crop to multiples of 4 (rather
than 2), or else you'll get chroma mismatch.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!