[MEncoder-users] vhs (pal or secam) encoding

moebius moebius1 at free.fr
Mon Jan 12 13:09:29 CET 2009

Bonjour,

I've found no solution for my problem ;

I've got a dazzle dvc100 device in order to transfer some vhs (a lot in
fact) to avi files, but it's not so simple...
It's not too difficult to get the dazzle device working (em28xx module)
neither to see the vhs on my computer screen with mplayer, BUT
when there's an horizontal scroll, the result (both with mplayer and
mencoder) become jerky, not a lot but the image seems to freeze during a
very short time then scroll again during a  short time (less than one
second) ;

It's very annoying and I tried a lot of option without success, for
example with mplayer :

  sudo nice --10 mplayer -tv
driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:normid=0:width=720:height=576:amode=1:immediatemode=0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/dsp2
-vf pp=lb  tv://

or with mencoder, something simple to be rencoded later :

sudo nice --10 mencoder tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:normid=0:decimation=1:fps=25:amode=1:audiorate=44100:adevice=/dev/dsp2:immediatemode=0:forceaudio
  -o myfile.avi -ovc raw    -oac pcm

Of course, I've tried with others codecs than raw ( lavc -lavcopts mpeg4)
I must say that, when watching vhs on tv with a simple scope, the
horizontal scroll is normal.

  Well, if someone owns a good command line for vhs encoding....

cordialement,