[MEncoder-users] Mencoder Subtitles not working

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 26 02:54:35 CET 2009

James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 07:44:50AM -0600, James Hastings-Trew wrote:
>>

>>> mencoder video.h264 -sws 9 -vf scale=1280:720 -sub subtitles.srt -utf8
>>> -subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-text-scale 35 -subpos 98 -ovc lavc -o test.avi
>>>

>> -vf scale=1280:720,expand=osd=1,scale
>> or something like that.
>>

> That didn't do it, neither did  -vf
> scale=1280:720,expand=1280:720:0:0;1,scale

The plot thickens. I believe the problem I am having is the result of
the input file "video.h264" not having any timestamps. It's a raw video
stream dump from eac3to, a blu-ray demuxer. When I encoded video.h264 to
an intermediate video file, and then used the encoded file as the source
with the subtitle options, voila, the subtitles showed up in the output.
Of course re-re-encoding a file is a lousy way to run an airport, so I'm
going to have to figure out how to get the raw video stream into some
kind of container where there ARE timestamps.  Putting the video into an
.mp4 container with mp4box was a dead-end, but I think eac3to can bundle
video into an .mkv container instead of as a raw stream, so I'm going to
try that next.