[MEncoder-users] Newbie question

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Dec 30 10:04:31 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 05:10:43PM -0700, Ender wyvern wrote:
> Vielen Dank, herr Doeffinger! The culprit was indeed the default 4:4:0
> sampling factor in ImageMagick. Adding a -sampling-factor 4:2:2 option (to
> ImageMagick, not MEncoder) fixed it.

With the commandline you use you are encoding to 4:2:0 in the end
anyway, using 4:2:2 for the JPEGs only makes them larger than necessary,
ImageMagick needs to do pointless chroma interpolation and MPlayer
needs to do chroma scaling, and probably you'll also end up with lower
quality due to all those conversions.
Use 4:2:0 or add support for 4:4:0 in MPlayer (I think that should be
rather simple, mostly adding it to libmpcodecs/imgfmt.h and
fmt-conversion.c).